Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Launch Sequence


I lead a busy life, sometimes it's just crazy. Especially during the summertime, because that's when work tends to be very hectic. And trying to fit in family vacation before the fall marching season begins...in August. Guess that's just what it's like having a big family and a lot of interests. In midst of all that, you wouldn't think there's any time left for fishing. Well, not a lot.

Somehow, I make time. Summer is my favorite time of the year. Especially those long days in late June and early July. And those long Memorial and Labor Day weekends. So I'll earmark a few "fishing
dates" on the calendar, maybe schedule a Friday or two off. Of course advance planning is no guarantee, then there's summer weather which is always less than predictable.

It all starts with the forecast. When I'm looking ahead to a fishing trip, I'll start watching the 5 or 10 day  forecast on weather.com. If things are looking good, great! The last couple days I'll switch to the hourly, especially if there's a chance of rain. The hourly forecast is surprisingly accurate once you're within a 24 hours or so. I don't worry too much about scattered, isolated, or less than 50% chance. I have rain gear and I've gotten wet before. Lightning, that's another story. Safety first, always.

Once I'm past the point of no return, the final countdown begins. Time to charge batteries, make sure the boat's ready, take care of any last minute trailer repairs, etc. If I'm checking out someplace new, I might look at a few maps or satellite images. It's a little different each time, but charging the battery is key. My 12v battery powers my aerator, trolling motor, and sonar unit. All important devices. Almost ready!


Before I head out there are a bunch of things I round up at the last minute. Some of the items in my catfish bag and/or boat include bug spray, sunglasses, hat, sunscreen, cameras, phone, terminal tackle, rods, gas, fire extinguisher
...you know stuff. Essential stuff. This is a good time to make sure the navigation and trailer lights are working. Nothing more frustrating that getting ready to hit the road and something needs to be fixed with the trailer lights.









I'll get some water in the cooler, maybe a beer or two, sometimes coffee, and I'm off. What's left?
Right. Bait. A quick stop at the bait shop for some suckers, or maybe a tributary creek or even right off shore at the launch, and I've got baits. There's always the cast net too, at least during daylight hours.








All that's left at the launch is loading gear in the boat. And making sure the drain plug is in before dropping the boat in the water. The car gets parked. The motor's fired up...and you're off!!! In search of summer catfish.

























I'll run a ways up or down the river, scope out a promising spot, and then anchor up. A hook is baited, then cast...and splashdown.
The first bait is out and anything is possible...
I love catfishing!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment